Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Good-bye 20's! Hello 30's!!!

I think I've finally pinpointed the reason why I never blog. There's so much PRESSURE!!! I read blog after blog where people write with such introspect and creativity. I feel like our blog needs to live up to the entertaining quality of all the imaginative friends I have, but I've finally resigned myself to the fact that that's just not going to happen.

Today I turned thirty. (Well, technically it was yesterday since it's now after midnight.) With the beginning of a new decade, I thought I should give our blog a fresh start! Doug and I are celebrating my birthday all month long by taking several trips while my family made my 30th birthday weekend memorable by hosting parties with family and friends. And I've received no less than 6 renditions of "Happy Birthday" either in person or on the phone. (My favorite rendition, I have to admit, was sung by Alicia and Lucy. Alicia sang the words "Happy birthday..." and Lucy finished with a lovely "to you". :)

I'm quite the sentimental gal, so I take days like my birthday and New Year's Day to reflect on the blessings I've experienced in the previous year....

In my 30th year of life, the Lord joined me and Doug Williams in marriage. God greatly exceeded my expectations with Doug because I never could have picked a man who so wonderfully represents Christ to me day in and day out on my own. I truly feel like the luckiest woman on earth.

In my 30th year of life, I completed my first year as music teacher at Van Winkle Elementary School. There were good days. There were bad days. But from beginning to end, I knew that I had the opportunity to represent Christ to 550 kids each week. I learned a lot about my own strengths and weaknesses, and I'm looking forward to the year ahead so I can build upon what I have already established.

In my 30th year of life, Doug and I celebrated much! We welcomed our niece, Anna Reid Whittington, to the world. We welcomed a cousin, Samuel Murphy, to the world. My precious niece, Lucy Elaine Cheatham, turned 1 year old. Doug led the Hinds' Men's Soccer Team to yet another State and Regional Championship. One of my best friends, Kristin Bloomer, married the wonderful Gary Nafziger. Doug was named Coach of the Year among Community College Men's Soccer coaches. The list goes on and on...

I say all of this in order to say that despite the difficulties we experience each year, those things are never the things that stand out when we think back through the year. Even when we experience tragedy, it's the good that came from the bad that we hold fast to. God is good. He has transformed my life and He continues to mold me. I hope that when I'm turning 40 and leaving yet another decade behind, I can see an even greater transformed life, molded by the gracious hand of my Savior.

Here are some pics from the last few months...



Doug's team won 2nd place at the Millsaps Tournament this Spring



A girl's best friends :)


Lucy came to visit me while I was at a teacher's conference at Ole Miss this past week


Doug and I at the Pops concert in Boston on July 4th - 10 AM


10 PM - We were just a little worn out. Worn out but FESTIVE!!!


30th Birthday Cake #1


Cake #2

It was a great day.





3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I am glad that you had a wonderful day of celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you. Congratulations to you and Doug.

    I love the smiles on your face. You deserve to be deliriously happy. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why am I just now reading this....love this post, you always inspire me!

    ReplyDelete