Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Last Trip of the Summer

The final week of summer vacation is upon us. I knew it was coming, but the mental preparation wasn't enough. Doug and I returned home from our last trip of the summer on Saturday and reality hit me like a ton of bricks. No more sleeping late - the alarm clock will soon be sounding at 5:45am. No more eating lunch whenever I want - my lunch time at school is promptly at 11am. No more "doing whatever we want". We have to turn back into responsible adults!!!

There's something to be said for having a scheduled day, but we sure have enjoyed the lazy mornings of summer, the many trips we've been able to take, the time to work on projects around the house (I'll soon have pics of our semi-renovated kitchen!). Summer is an absolute God-send to teachers, but August forever looms ahead of us to remind us that it doesn't last forever. :)

Last week we went to Atlanta to spend time with Doug's family. We had a great visit with his dad and step-mom, and I also got to meet his half-sister Salina and her husband Paul. I did a poor job of remembering to take pictures, but I did make sure to get one of us with Doug's brother Scot and his fiance, Ashley. They got engaged the night we arrived in Atlanta, so it was especially fun to see Ashley's excitement of being a newly engaged woman.

I was able to spend a few hours with my best friend, Cara, and her 2 little ones. (Again - I was a forgetful photographer.) And then I attended my first professional soccer game! AC Milan played Club America. It was fun, but I have to admit that I like Hinds Soccer better. There's just something about knowing the coach that gets me a little more emotionally involved. :)

From Atlanta, we traveled to Florida to see Doug's brother Chuck and his family. We had a BLAST playing in the pool with our nieces and nephew - Taylor, Ashlyn and Jackson. They are definitely some of the coolest kids on the planet! We can't wait to go visit again soon!



The soon-to-be Mrs. Ashley Whittington, Scot, Doug and Elaine at the Georgia Dome



It was hard to capture a good picture of 2-year old Jackson. He was on the go ALL OF THE TIME!!!


Taylor and Ashlyn having fun with Uncle Doug in the swimming pool.


We've decided that having a pool in the backyard is AWESOME!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment